Before I get into some interesting rumors and rumblings that have been going on in the sports world, I would like to thank the show "Sports Fans in Headbands" for having me on as their special guest Saturday morning June 9th. You can hear a replay of the show by clicking on the Blog Talk Radio player found on our homepage. It was a treat to talk fantasy baseball and preview the fantasy football season with Jason Saulter and Nathan Conley. If you aren't following them on twitter yet I urge you to do so @JasonSaulter @NathanConley and @SFinHB
Mid June Rumor Mill
Five starting pitchers who may get moved...
1. Matt Garza, Cubs. He's their best trade piece.
2. Ryan Dempster, Cubs. Arguably their second best trade piece.
3. Wandy Rodriguez, Astros. He'll return solid value and unload a lot of salary.
4. Jason Vargas, Mariners. The Mariners are rebuilding and he's getting paid nearly $5 million this season.
5. Brandon McCarthy, Athletics. Like always, the A's have an ace they can deal at the deadline.
Five hitters who may get moved...
1. Jed Lowrie, Astros. This may be the best time to sell high on the 28 year old shortstop. 11 HR's and a .293 average screams trade bait!!!
2. Carlos Quentin, Padres. Through 9 games is hitting .484 with 5 long balls and a .543 OBP.
3. Andre Ethier, Dodgers. If they fall out of contention (and I think they will) the Dodgers may move Andre. He's owed nearly $11 million this year.
4. Shane Victorino, Phillies. Like Ethier and the Dodgers, if the Phillies can't recover from their injury woes, look for the Flyin' Hawaiian to be in a new uniform.
5. Alfonso Soriano, Cubs. It would be in the best interest of the Cubs to deal him while he's on this hot streak. 6 HR in last 11 games. The Cubs have also promised to pay about 90% of the salary he's owed in any deal.
Five relievers who may get moved...
1. Brett Myers, Astros. He's owed $12 million this year and will provide a solid return in any deal.
2. The Oakland Bullpen. Balfour, Fuentes, Ryan Cook, they're all candidates.
3. Matt Capps, Twins. If someone calls asking for Capps, the Twins have to do it.
4. J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks. If the D-Backs can't put it together, Putz will be the first to go. If Putz goes, look for David Hernandez to be the new closer.
5. Brandon League, Mariners. Nobody wants the League that throws 90-91mph, everyone wants the 96-98mph guy. We'll see what happens.
Is Warren Sapp about to lose his home?
It's possible. A bank in Florida is claiming that Sapp owes them nearly $800,000 prior to his filing for bankruptcy.
Who is Jorge Soler?
Expect bids on the Cuban free agent outfielder Jorge Soler to be in this weekend. Possible buyers being the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Pirates and Braves. I think the Cubs are the front runners.
Is it true Charlie Sheen was not allowed back in the Staples Center for the Kings game after taking a smoke break?
True, it turns out tiger blood isn't what it used to be. #Winning
What will happen to Kevin Youkilis?
I think he's been on the trading block since returning from the DL on May 22nd. He's taking away playing time from Will Middlebrooks at third and occasionally forces Adrian Gonzalez to play right field. Youkilis, at age 33, should return decent value if he is dealt to a contender. Possible teams: Giants, Dodgers or the Reds, just to name a few. Keep an eye on the White Sox being a player in the Youkilis sweepstakes. They're my dark horse team in all of this.
Will Chris Bosh get to bring his daughter to the Olympic games this summer?
The mother of Chris Bosh's daughter is fighting to keep their little girl in the states during this summer's Olympic games. If Bosh can't bring his girl along for the trip there's a good chance he'll cry about it. (Cut to the footage of Bosh falling down and weeping after last year's loss in the finals against the Mavericks)
Will the Giants trade Tim Lincecum?
I've been down on the 2 time Cy Young winner all season long. I'm not sure if it's mental or physical but one thing is clear, the Giants have locked up Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner to long term deals. They have yet to negotiate a contract extension with the 5'11" 163 pound right hander and the longer it takes, the more teams will begin to question his value moving forward. My assumption is that there are three possible outcomes: gets traded, ends up in the bullpen or is headed for surgery.
Is fantasy sports writer Alex Wiesner dating Playboy cover girl Brittney Palmer?
There's no truth to this rumor. In fact, I started the rumor in hopes that maybe one day she'll follow me on twitter @Awies28
*Also gave me a reason to put her picture on the homepage. I do think she's cute though.
Is it true that Alex Wiesner went 7 for 7 in his last two slow pitch softball games?
This rumor is..... 100% true. Last night I was asked to play in a slow pitch softball double header. It's been a full day since the games and I still can't feel my legs. #OutOfShape
Biggest MLB star that could be dealt within the next 5 weeks?
There's a handful of good players that could be shopped around relatively soon (such as the ones mentioned above) but keep an eye on David Wright of the Mets and Corey Hart of the Brewers. If the Mets don't extend Wright's contract soon, he'll be shopped around (my guess is the Dodgers). If the Brewers continue to struggle, Hart could bring back plus value for his services on a contending team.
If your in a deep keeper or dynasty league...
- Miguel Sano, Twins. He's 2 or 3 years away but I think he'll contend annually for 40 HR's.
- Will Myers, Royals. May be up as soon as the next All Star Break, Myers reminds me of Nick Swisher with more potential.
- Bubba Starling, Royals. Roughly 3 years away from joining the Kansas City club but comparisons to Drew Stubbs are valid. Although Starling may hit for a slightly higher average.
- Brett Jackson, Cubs. His path is blocked by a plethora of bad signings right now but he will challenge 20-20 every season once he gets called up.
- Zach Lee, Dodgers. Still 2 years away but has top of the rotation stuff with a fastball that can get into the upper 90's.
- Gary Brown, Giants. One of the top speedsters in all the minor leagues. Brown reminds me of Cameron Maybin.
- Aaron Hicks, Twins. Comparisons to Torii Hunter are unfair but he is a toolsy outfielder that may be called up next year.
- Mike Ott, Rangers. Power hitting third baseman will one day replace Adrian Beltre.
- Derek Norris, Athletics. Another solid hitting catcher in the minors. The new wave of offensive backstops are on their way up.
What to make of Roy Oswalt's minor league numbers?
Don't read into anything, it's only been two starts and he's an 11 year veteran who knows how to prepare himself for any major league lineup.
What is going on with Mike Trout?
Nothing, this is who he is. Obviously the .340 average will regress to about .310 due to his current .395 BABIP but he is a legit 20/30 contender. I'd rather have Trout over Bryce Harper in any league, except an NL only league... Only real fantasy nerds, like myself, will understand that joke.
Has Kris Humphries found a new girl?
Pretty much. Since being divorced by Kim Kardashian, Kris has moved on to a new chick. It's not official, or maybe it is... I don't really know. I'm a sports writer, not a celebrity reporter or a member of the vicious gang known as "The Paparazzi."
Which surprise teams will be possible deadline buyers?
Pirates, White Sox, Mets and Giants.
Who are the likely deadline sellers?
Mariners, Astros, Cubs, Twins, Athletics, Padres and maybe the Dodgers.
Is Stephania Bell going to be a guest on the Mr. Fantasy Freak podcast?
I will begin tweeting her with that request soon. I have had a good track record of getting her to respond to my tweets so we'll see.
Thanks guys for reading my Mid June Rumor Mill. Like always find me on twitter if you'd like to discuss anything pertaining to sports or my lack of grammar skills. @Awies28